English Selected Change language to Spanish
  Records & Reports       

  • Can I get information about a case that was investigated by the CPD?
    Case files are not public information. You may, however, make a Freedom of Information request for case information. You will then receive  information about the case that has been deemed non-sensitive. For information and instructions, go to Inside the CPD on the top navigation bar of this website, then scroll down to Freedom of Information Act on the drop-down menu.
  • Can I make a police report online?
    You can make an online report for lost property or theft less than $500. Click on the Online Crime Reporting link in the left column of this website. Other police reports must be made by calling 311 from within Chicago, or (312) 746-6000 from outside Chicago. To make a traffic accident report or a missing persons report, you must personally visit a district police station and make such a report in person.
  • How can I get a copy of an incident report?
    There are several ways to obtain an incident report.  Vehicle Accident Reports can be obtained on-line through the CLEARpath "On-Line" Services link labeled "Accident Reports".  There is a  $6.00 cost for each report purchased on-line.  You can also visit our Records Services Section or you can mail us your request.  The charge is $5.00 for a traffic report and $0.50 for all other reports requested by mail or walk-in.  If you would like to obtain a report through our walk-in services, you can come to our Records Services Section at 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60653.  If you are submitting your request by mail, please be as specific as possible about the parties involved, the date of the incident, the location of the incident, and provide the RD number if at all possible. Your request and payment, in the form of a check or money order, can be mailed to the Chicago Police Department - Records Inquiry Section (Unit 163), 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60653 
  • I lived in Chicago for a few years. Now I'm planning to emigrate to another country. That country requires me to produce a letter saying I was never convicted of a criminal offense while I lived in Chicago. How can I get such a letter?
    A Letter of Clearance is a letter that certifies whether a person has been convicted of a criminal offense (excluding traffic or minor regulatory ordinances).  The letter is issued for passport, immigration, or adoption purposes only and cannot provide character reference or identification.  Members of the general public requesting a letter of clearance must request such letters in person at the Chicago Police Department  Records Customer Service Section , 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60653.  Requesters can obtain these letters only for themselves, not for any other person, and will be required to present proper photo identification at the time of processing.

If you do not reside in Chicago and cannot visit the Chicago Police Department in person, you  can submit a request to the Illinois State Police through their Uniform Conviction Information Act (UCIA).  Visit the Illinois State Police website at http://www.isp.state.il.us/crimhistory/crimhistoryhome.cfm for more information.


Error: The listener returned the following Message: 404 Not Found