311.It's a new system that is making it even easier and quicker to access City services for your neighborhood, get information on upcoming events and programs, and to take care of non-emergency police matters. Coupled with new, enhanced computer software and multilingual operators, the City's 311 system is designed to continue to improve service provided to residents of Chicago. Here are some examples of what you can use 311 for:
- Police Non-Emergencies:
The police non-emergency function is designed to help keep police, firefighters and ambulances free to respond quickly to emergency calls to 911. Non-emergency situations are those that do not involve a crime in progress or an immediate threat to life, bodily injury, or major property damage or loss.
Many police functions can now be accomplished by calling 311.
- Filing a police report after a crime has occurred and the offender is gone:
- If you wake up in the morning and realize that your bicycle is missing from your garage, call 311.
- If your neighbor leaves the dog in the yard all night, barking at squirrels, call 311.
- If you come out of the grocery store and realize the cell phone you left on the seat of your car is gone, call 311.
- If you hear your car alarm in the middle of the night and realize someone has tried to steal or break into your car, call 311.
- Talking directly to police officers in your district:
In 1993, the Police Department began a comprehensive community policing strategy designed to help officers get to know the neighborhoods in which they work and to help residents get to know their beat officers.
This partnership is designed to help address potential crime and disorder problems before they escalate, improving the quality of life for all residents of the City.
While the police and community hold regular beat meetings, there may be issues or activities that you and your neighbors need to talk directly to your district about between meetings. You can use 311 to accomplish this.
- City Services:
From garbage cans to alley-light upgrades to potholes to sewer cleaning, 311 is your one-stop shopping center for all City services. Call 311 to report service needs, to get answers to questions about the services the City provides and to check the status of previous service requests.
- Information About Upcoming Events:
311 is also your gateway to information about the multitude of events occurring around Chicago all year long: Holiday Events. The Taste of Chicago. Neighborhood Festivals.
Under the Police Department's community policing strategy, regular meetings between the police and the community identify potential neighborhood crime and disorder problems and develop strategies to address them. You can find out when and where your next beat meeting will be held by calling 311.